I bought this fabric at the op-shop for a $1 and may have squeaked for joy when I spotted it, and I am so thrilled with it that I wanted to share it with you all. I am not sure of the exact composition, but it has zero plastic in it, with a burn test reducing the fabric to ash, so it is some sort of natural fibre with a soft hand and nice draping qualities.
I only had the smallest amount of fabric so fiddled around with a variety of patterns, finally settling on my latest favourite pattern the Lotta Jansdotter Esme tunic (previously made here as dresses).
As with the dresses I added pockets, but because of the length of the tunic raised them a little bit. With some careless posing you can actually see the bottom of one of the pockets showing below the hem, but this doesn’t happen normally, as you can see in the photo below.
The fabric has got a beautiful print on it, but I had to cut the pattern on the crosswise grain in order to give it the correct orientation. I fiddled and fussed to ensure that the focal point of the pattern was in the centre both front and back and took everything else from there. From a distance the print looks a bit random, but up close it has this rather elegant woman, dressed to the nines (that dress! those sleeves!) showing a tiny bird to her greyhound. They are standing in some sort of arbour and leaves are scattered around on the black parts of the fabric. I absolutely adore this fabric.
I managed to get her in the centre of the back as well, but I had to cut the sleeves on grain, which means that I couldn’t get that cream stripe to run down the sleeve which had been my original intention.
To recap: The fabric is some sort of natural fibre which I found in an op shop, the pattern is the Esme tunic from Lotta Jansdotter, the trousers are self drafted and made from bengaline from Knitwit and the shoes are A. Bottega.