Having made all those flannel shirts for my husband and son I thought I would like one for me, but I have that “I’m a lumberjack and I’m ok” song from Monty Python running through my head constantly so I used some lovely flannelette sheeting that didn’t look at all lumberjack like. Except… It turned into pyjamas! I think I can get away with it, but Archie tells me that I am not to leave the house in it (except I already did, teehee).
The pattern I chose is the Grainline Archer, which I’ve had for an age but not got round to making, and given that it’s Sewing Indie Month, I thought the time had finally come. This is in the “everyday casual” category and I don’t think I could get any more everyday casual!
I could pretend that this is a wearable muslin, but I’d be lying. I just wanted a flannel shirt.
Of course I had to do a load of pattern matching, but what’s a make without a challenge?
This is the first time I’ve made the Grainline Archer and I can see what all the fuss is about. I did change the way the yoke is attached – I even took photos to document it, but didn’t have the memory card in the camera – duh! Next time I will change the sleeve plackets and will document this as well, but otherwise, it’s an easy make and I think it looks and feels terrific (in spite of the dodgy fabric).
The sewing machine that I am artfully posing in front of is a “Jones” and is quite a glorious thing. It uses shuttles rather than bobbins, and I have lots of amazing looking feet for it. It is still in perfect working order and I have the original instruction book. I decided to use it as a background as a result of a conversation on the Stashbusting Sewalong Facebook group, and I thought it might be of interest to some of the members. It has written on it “as supplied to her Majesty Queen Alexandra”. This always makes me giggle, I can see her maj sitting down at her deadly treadly and knocking out a gown or two!
She did have a lot of style – there is a Pinterest group with lots of photos. I put this sewing machine at around 1880.