Remember that I made a wearable muslin of this dress? It is from the 1940s and is a sweetly elegant dress – until it gets on to my back!
When I made the wearable muslin I found that my actual toile was a bit short in the bodice, so lengthened the muslin by 4cm to find it was 3cm too long, so in this iteration I knocked off the 3cm, and guess what? Yep, it’s too short in the body – very annoying!
I also felt that the muslin was slightly baggy, but without changing a thing, this one is skin tight. Yes, obviously it makes me wonder whether I’ve put on a little layer of podge, but I don’t think I’ve acquired that much.
I can also see my hem line on these photos, which I’m sure I can’t see that easily in real life, so that’s a bit disappointing. I will be frogging and redoing.
The belt has a buckle from my stash that is from the 1940s, so I was quite pleased with myself on that front.
Nothing much has changed in the back view. It is supposed to have shoulder pads, which would fill out the shoulder a bit at the back, the problem is that it lifts the bodice too much so I left them out.
So, enough of this dress for a while. I might make a summer version, but I feel as though I need to move on.
Details: Pattern is Advance 3738 from the 1940s, fabric is a fine houndstooth wool blend from Potter’s Textiles. Buckle is vintage and from my stash.
This is Day 8 of Me-Made-May14 and I have managed to wear the dress and underwear that are made by me.
Before I sign off I thought you might enjoy this image about sewing:
This is so true!!
3 thoughts on “1940s dress revisited”
The dress looks like it has a lot of work in it, with its front yoke, fitting gaters and darts at the back. the buckle is perfect for the fabric and the ‘sewing image’! LOL
Thanks Roma. Not as complicated as it perhaps looks. I’ve got a dummy now, so the next one might fit better!