Sewing

Dyed cabin dress

After the success of my first Blueprints for Sewing Cabin dress I decided to make another one, but take a slightly different approach to the fabric. I had some rather plain cotton/linen blend and thought I’d dye it. I dumped it in a pot of rosemary and left it for a few days, but the colour […]

Read more
dyeing, Sewing

Pillowcase to dyed top

The fabric for this top was dyed during the Fibres West Retreat I attended in July, and was a pillowcase in its previous life. It was a pretty fancy pillowcase with lines of pintucks, some of which had come adrift and I discovered that I don’t have a pintucking foot so had to do the […]

Read more
Sewing

Dyeing experiments and lessons learned

We recently had a lovely few days at our bush block where it did nothing but rain, so I cowered under shelter and did a bit of natural dyeing. Whilst I was at it, I learned a few lessons that I thought I’d share. A few weeks ago I mordanted some cotton knit with soy […]

Read more
Sewing

The Muresk tops

This pattern has been dubbed the “Muresk top” because it’s based on a copy of a top that I got free on the last day of the garage sale at the Fibres West retreat held at Muresk, and I used fabric that I eco-dyed during my sojourn there. The original top is by a well-known […]

Read more
dyeing

Hapa Zome or hot mess?

Followers on IG may have seen my hapa zome printing experiment and several of you asked for more detail. Hapa Zome is derived from the Japanese art of beating up leaves with hammers, where natural pigments are pounded into fabric. India Flint has a couple of pages dedicated to this in her book “Eco Colour” […]

Read more
one year one outfit, Sewing

One Year One Outfit final – part 2

The second part of my outfit (part one here) is a corset, of sorts. At least that’s how it started out. However, the whole issue of boning was quite taxing. I had a friend offer to bring me some lamb ribs from her farm. Err, no, I don’t think so. Then there was a whole […]

Read more
one year one outfit

Bracken dyeing experiment

My participation in one year one outfit has sparked an interest in eco dyeing. I have already had a go with eucalyptus leaves and I thought I’d try bracken leaves as I have a few growing on our weekend block. I picked a few, boiled them up with some rainwater in an iron pot and then […]

Read more