This shirt pattern was created by Sarah from Workspace Fashion & Design School, where I am learning the basics of pattern making. Sarah is planning to commercialise some of the patterns she creates alongside her students, and I was lucky enough to test this one. Her pattern line will be released under her Pattern Union banner, and this is just the first of her creations that I will be showing.
The back of the shirt has a yoke with an inverted pleat in the centre back. I think it is the perfect length and it coordinates really well with my new Jalie Elèanore pull on jeans.
Most of Sarah’s patterns have variations and this one can be adapted in a variety of ways which I haven’t explored yet, but here are a couple of versions
This shirt has grown on three-quarter length sleeves with a cuff, the front is cut straight, with an optional button band, or a front pleat with a short button band. I did the bottom version with the long front “tails”, but didn’t include the button band, so the only part which buttons is the collar closure.
The tails can hang loose, but there is a slot in each side seam to thread them through and I had a lovely time playing with the various ways in which I could tie the fronts.
I didn’t put buttons and buttonholes on the cuffs as I had the view that they were meant to be left open, but I am going to retrofit them as I think the cuffs look unfinished, even if I never do up the buttons.
The fabric is a divine silk/cotton mix which I bought about eight years ago in Queenstown, New Zealand. I have had this out of my stash on several occasions, just waiting for the right time to use it. So happy to be wearing it at last.