This was one of the patterns I chose as part of my prize for the Sew a Seasonal Wardrobe challenge. I already have a couple of the Named patterns and thought I was going to struggle to find another one that would fit into my wardrobe needs. Then I saw this pattern and knew it would be perfect, and so it proved to be.
I have made this first version in a piece of light cotton sprigged with small brown flowers. It’s lingered in my stash for a few years now, so I’m happy it’s made up ready for the warmer weather to appear, as it inevitably will.
What can I tell you about this pattern? Apart from its general loveliness, it was a breeze to make. The instructions are extremely clear and everything lines up really nicely, which is always a relief to me. The only alteration I made was to drop the bust darts by 2.5cm, and I might need to shorten them a bit too. The peplum is so lovely. It is a perfect shape and length.
My only issue is that I can’t dress myself! I require assistance to get those buttons at the back done up. However, when I’ve been buttoned in and turned loose on the world, I am totally happy.
This top has made me realise that all my white trousers are looking really tired, so I have new white jeans on the sewing table.
When I read the instructions I managed to not notice that stretch fabric was suggested to avoid the issue of getting the buttons done up, and so I immediately set about making one from some beautiful silk and cotton knit from Knitwit (currently on sale), which I’ve had in my stash since Knitwit first stocked it.
It is still a bit chilly so I have several layers on under this top, which is what is causing the wrinkles. Here is a better look without me in it.
I used the reverse coverstitch again to add some interesting detail.
Both of these blouses are going to become part of my capsule travel wardrobe for the next Sew a Seasonal Wardrobe which is a “destination” challenge. I think I’ll be creating two capsule wardrobes – one for summer travel and one for trans-seasonal travel.