Many pieces

I have noticed that, on the rare occasions when I cook, I look for recipes with 3-5 ingredients. In a moment of wild introspection I realised that I am doing the same thing with sewing patterns, resulting in a seemingly endless array of shapeless shifts. What to do? Well, go pattern shopping of course!

First cab off the rank is Vogue 8902, an interesting pattern with sufficient pieces to make me feel as though I was breaking the mould. Here is a schematic of the many versions of this pattern (which I think shows all the sections much better than a photograph would).

V8902

I did version B – a single fabric  with short sleeves, but am keen to try C and E for autumn. I had vaguely thought that it would have around 10 pieces with those side panels accounting for four, but the top half is lined, so that added another eight pieces to the mix, making 18 pieces in all – I think we can say that I have well and truly moved myself out of the three pattern pieces rut!

DSC07839

I made the dress out of a cotton/linen blend. This had just the right amount of body. I lined it with a piece of white modal from my stash.

DSC07851

I decided to showcase the dress at King’s Park, which for non Perth people overlooks our fair city. I am standing at Anzac Bluff which has been dedicated to all the men who fought and died in Gallipoli in 1915. If you can’t read the sign, this spot is reminiscent of  Ari Burnu where they fought.

DSC07856

I look like I’m holding a wine glass, right? Wrong, just doing weird hand movements.

Next photo looks out over the South Perth foreshore and our beautiful Swan River.

DSC07859

Looking further down the river

DSC07825

and here is a close up of the actual dress!

DSC07831

 

You can see in the above photo some of the joining, but here is a close up of the back section

DSC07861

A jobbing sewist’s review of Vogue 8902:

Pattern Description: 
This is a custom fit pattern, which means that not only did I have to work out which size to make, I also had to choose a cup size – I probably should have made a muslin with those choices, but what the heck! There was no mention of lining on the back of the envelope (oh, ok, it does mention it in the fabric requirements, but I don’t read them).

The dress is designed to be close fitting with a bias bodice. The short sleeves finish at the side meaning that the underarm is open. There is a fair bit of topstitching. The zip is a centred insertion, with edges meeting. I would have done an invisible zip, but I have so many regular ones, that I followed the pattern.
Pattern Sizing:
6 – 14, with ABCD cup sizes included. I did size 8 A cup (truly haven’t been an A cup since my teens, so was thrilled that it fitted). If I make it again I might go down to a 6 grading out to an 8 over my top half. The back neck finished up gaping and I had to add two little darts to make it sit flat.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think so.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I had my moments here! Take my advice and label the pieces once you have cut them out. The back and front side panels look similar. They also are a bit counter intuitive (to me anyway) in terms of which way is up. I did a bit of unpicking.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love all the seaming and the topstitching. I did not realise there was lining and may not have chosen the pattern had I realised. Having said that, the lining does give it a lovely feel and finish. I did feel as though it could accommodate pockets in those front panels, but wondered whether it would bulk out the front. I’m glad I left well enough alone, but pockets would make me happier!
Fabric Used:
A cotton/linen blend from Potters Textiles, lined with modal from Knitwit. The fabric has a fair bit of body, which suits the pattern.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None for this version, but the next iteration will hopefully fit a little better over the shoulders.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I like the finished dress very much.
Conclusion:

The dress had a bit of matching. Although I was happy with my accuracy, it did add to the length of the project. A plain fabric would make this even more critical.

The details:

Pattern is Vogue 8902

Fabric is a cotton/linen blend from Potter’s Textiles, lined with white modal from Knitwit

Shoes are A. Bottega

Necklace is a Victorian mourning necklace

Fadanista

11 thoughts on “Many pieces

  1. You know I love the dress and I particularly like the colours on you. Maybe you should become a “Sewing Diva Perth Guide” in your spare time!!!

    Like

  2. i really like this dress, Sue. It is elegant and fits beautifully. I use mostly Vogue patterns because I like the tailoring. Fabric is lovely.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s