Yes, well, I did plan a dress but then found this short remnant and so I made a top!
Ann from Pattern Division gave me the pattern for the Totally Dress and I made it as soon as I found the fabric with the necessary stretch and which would fit the pattern. It can be made from tubular fabric, and I have a roll of that but sadly it wasn’t wide enough.
Anyway, suffice it to say I’m thrilled with my top. First though, some details about the pattern.
This is the description from the Pattern Division Etsy store: “The Totally dress is inspired by the innovative, modern, minimal work of designer Issey Miyake. The beauty of minimal designs is how they enhance your natural beauty and are versatile and fun to accessorize. This dress is a mid-calf length sheath with a simple geometric tubular shape, shoulder caps, and a cowlneck. Make this dress with a tubular knit for a seamless dress that is finished practically before you start! Or expand your fabric options by choosing a flat knit and adding a seam at the back. Fabric options include ribbed knits, sweater knits, interlock, cotton spandex, rayon knits, double knits, knit crepe, any medium knit really as long as it has a medium to high amount of stretch (25% or higher).
Layer two, one in a silky neutral knit and one in a lace knit and wear on that special day! “
In the end I went with a cotton knit that I had in my stash. I have no idea where it’s from and I may have dyed it myself, but not a natural dye, I don’t think.
I made it and immediately took some photos with the shorts that I had on. I didn’t take it off again! It hasn’t even had a final press in these photos.
There is one seam at the back and some clever armholes giving that extended shoulder and creating the cowl neck at the front.
A close up of the back. If a tubular fabric is used there isn’t even a back seam!
I graded from a size 12 at the bust to an 8 at the hip. The pattern is available in the size range 32 – 59 inch bust, which is pretty great.
I was going to use the piece of spare fabric left on the sides to create a frill and turn this into a dress, but once I had tried it on as a top there was no going back! The white trousers are my newly made Linear Leggings from Pattern Scissors Cloth. I think these two are a match made in heaven.
I did a seated pose – it was a hot day, hence the wet feet.
This was a fast and uncomplicated make. I used my coverstitch machine for the armholes and hem, the neck is just stitched down here and there which gives it that fluid look.
I’ve worn the top a couple of times already, it’s really comfortable and doesn’t cling where it shouldn’t. I could not be happier with it. The spare fabric from the sides has already been incorporated into a rag rug, so this has become a minimal waste make.