When I was in Purl Soho in New York City recently, I bought a pattern for a Winter Wreath. They had kits but I felt that I had all the materials at home, and so it proved to be.
I made a red one first using some felt that I found in an op shop, decorating it with gold thread and beads, and which I absolutely loved, but I really wanted a white one. I had some white felt that I had made and which was left over from the outfit I made for One Year One Outfit. I’m not much of a felter (pretty bad actually) so the felt is a bit thick and thin in places, instead of the nice smooth 1mm suggested, so I interfaced the thin bits to give them some body.
I cut a couple of rings and lots of shapes, including flowers, leaves, circles and strips which are turned into fringing. This is the sort of pattern which is easily replicated and any shapes would work. The wreath does take a surprising number, mostly because they are stacked on top of each other.
A close up of the components. For information, the two large circles have a diameter of 40cms and are 10cms wide, but this could easily be adjusted to accommodate personal requirements.
Here is the full catastrophe. I’m also showing some of the beads and metallic thread that I used.
I used forked pins to attach the components whilst I decided where they should be placed.
Once everything is cut out, it’s time to assemble. First, using a slip stitch sew the two rings together in the centre.
Then sew the outer edge of the rings together, a few centimetres at a time, stuffing as you go. I used every bit of my scraps for this.
and when I ran out of felt I used scraps from my overlocker thread catcher.
The effect isn’t as smooth as if I’d used polyester stuffing, but it’s nice to know that I have used all those scraps.
Placing all the pieces is the good part. Stack them to create flowers and shapes and place the large components first to get them evenly spread. I used embroidery and beading to create the decorative elements.
A fair bit of mess is created. I finished up using some Madeira thread that had belonged to my mother. I’m not sure if this can still be bought, but it’s rather lovely. I needed beading needles for the beads, and a magnifying light to thread the beading needle!
But I could not have completed this project without the Easy Thread Tulip needles! They have a sort of double eye and the top part is open so that the thread can be slotted in. They make a huge difference, especially with the metallic thread.
Start filling in all the gaps with the different elements, pinning until you’re happy with the arrangement, then stitch.
As this white wreath was going on the outside wall, I used a fabric protection spray to protect it from dust and dirt, and gave it a few coats.
We hung it on the wall by the door. I was in two minds as to whether it just blended in too much.
So we swapped it for the red one. The jury is still out, but I think the red is a bit more striking.
It certainly shows up better from a distance and looks more Christmassy. We might finish up swapping them from time to time.
The white one has been relegated to the inside for now, although I’m not sure this is going to be its final home either.
I do have a bit of an urge to make some little ones as gifts, but I’m making some angels which are much, much faster!