As previously mentioned, Mark needs new work clothes, so I made him a whole outfit over the weekend whilst he was away.
The outfit consists of trousers – Kwik Sew 4045, navy this time as the previous black ones were such a hit, and my old favourite, Kwik Sew 3422 for the shirt, made more times than I can count.
After making the black ones I decided to put welt pockets in the back, and Sue from A colourful canvas linked me to a fabulous tutorial. I haven’t done a welt pocket for about 30 years so decided to do a practice one first. It turned out perfectly and I was good to go. Then Mark told me that he liked the patch pockets as there was no bulk at all, so I began to waver, and then one of my lovely followers, Hélène, told me that she preferred the patch pockets and the deal was done. He has another pair of trousers with patch pockets!
I finished these trousers without Mark trying them on and wonder if I’ve made them a tad long. I measured some of his RTW trousers, so was confident I had it right. I might take a whisker off the bottom.
I once again used bias binding for most of the seams, which gives a very neat finish.
However, there’s a lot going on in some places!
The only thing to be said for the shirt is that the fabric is a magnificent cotton/silk blend which I got for less than $3 at the local church fete. I was confident that I could get a shirt out of the piece of fabric but I had the tiniest scraps left over, which pleases me greatly.
It was gorgeous fabric to sew and Mark tells me that it’s fabulous to wear.
In a nutshell: Trousers are Kwik Sew 4045 made from stretch cotton gaberdine from EM Greenfield, Sydney. Shirt is Kwik Sew 3422 made from cotton/silk blend from local church fete. All notions were from my stash.