I’m not sure what I was thinking when I embarked on this project. My friend Thelma has long said that I should make myself a jumpsuit, and once the idea was sown, it was sewn – pun intended :).
The pattern is Simplicity 6959 from 1975. There were a number of things I quite liked about this pattern – the kimono style sleeves, the apparent simplicity, the pockets and the width of the legs. I did not like the big collar, however, so that had to go.
I wasn’t too certain of the sizing so decided to make a muslin. This pattern is cut in one length and has four full length pieces each side, so it takes a fair bit of fabric. I decided to use a sheet that I had squirrelled into my stash when we replaced all our bedding. Once I had cut it out I could see that the crotch would be near my knees, so felt a certain smugness regarding the muslin. I dutifully sewed it together, and did I say that I liked the width of the legs? They are so wide that I actually look as though I am wearing a skirt.
Strangely, the body length is almost correct when I’m wearing it. It’s a tad long, but I think it needs to be so that one can sit down without getting a giant wedgie.
Being on the stumpy side, I didn’t shorten the jumpsuit legs as I had intended in an attempt to give myself an elongated appearance. Back in the ’70s we would have had those legs going right to the floor so that our shoes couldn’t be seen.
When Mark saw my outfit, he thought it might be a really nice thing to wear camping. Camping?? Camping??? I have to wear high heels because of the length of the legs and all that white in the bush? I did have a little chuckle to myself. He can be so sweet.
I do feel a bit as though I have been caught in a giant snowdrift. This is a lot of white. I know it’s a muslin, but I can’t bear to waste fabric and this was a 1200 thread Sheridan sheet, which we actually never used, so I am going to attempt to wear it. I considered dying it, but then it would look like a dyed sheet. I have some self striped shirting in my stash that looks like this, so I’m going to wear this jumpsuit somewhere and brazen it out.
I reduced the size of the collar, but went too far at the back, so it actually just stands up on its own. In the photos I tried to fold it down, but it sprang back up and I’ve decided that I quite like it. If I make this again, I will redraft the collar piece.
I took the sides in quite a bit to make it fit better in the hip region, but it still feels a tad baggy.
I was intending to make the actual jumpsuit from a lovely drapey viscose, but I am not sure. The wide legs seem to be in the shops at the moment, and I think a softer fabric would really improve the look. Something that doesn’t look like a sheet might also help! Maybe after Christmas I’ll have another go.
I left the pockets off this version as I was just practicing, but my hands look for them, so will definitely include some sort of pocket if I do it again. I’m glad I made the muslin as I followed the construction method recommended and was quite surprised how it is put together. One collar goes on the jumpsuit and the other collar goes on the facings and then they are all joined together. This gives a really neat finish.
I’ve tried to see what other people have done with this pattern, but, whilst there are quite a few patterns for sale, not many people have blogged their makes, so here is a quick review:
Simplicity 6959: a simple to sew wide length jumpsuit in two lengths. The jumpsuit has princess seaming, front zipper, V neck with collar and short kimono type sleeves. The long version has patch pockets and a self fabric belt. There is considerable top stitching, which I didn’t do.
The pattern is simple to make and I have already referred to the fact that the construction of the collar is slightly different from the way I would have done it. The legs are very wide but could probably be slimmed down.
The details: Pattern is Simplicity 6959 from 1975. Fabric is a sheet, belt is Leona Edmiston, shoes are Letizia from Letizia, Claremont.