Having had a bit of a play with self-drafting of late, I thought I would explain that I am doing it as a result of finding this drafting system in my mother’s stash and deciding that it looked too good to waste. I found the receipt and it appears that she bought all the kits (including men’s, children’s and shirts), but I only found these two. I can’t watch the video as we no longer have a player, but I might see if I can get it converted to a DVD.
Anyway, I was keen to give it a go. I drafted the bodice of the Chrysanthemum dress using the dress kit. It’s pretty simple really. In the box is a neat armscye template which really helped. I haven’t tackled pants or an actual dress, or sleeves, but I did draft this skirt, which, to be honest, I think I could have done without this system.
Yes, it’s basically a square, slightly shaped over the hips, with a waistband. I stole the idea for the skirt from a local shop where they were selling identical skirts, on sale, for $99. I figured I could do this and used a remnant of stretch denim that I had originally bought to make a pair of Vogue 8859 pants only to find that the label was wrong and I didn’t have enough fabric. I felt totally ripped off, but got over myself and took the opportunity to try out this skirt. I was amazed that everything lined up – it was so difficult – two identical squares and two identical waistband strips, but still, I was amazed as I am not the most precise person in the world. I knotted my shirt for this photo – very 1970s style, but it does give me a very bulky waist.
The skirt is designed with a two part waistband, sewn together on the long edge and then a strip of elastic (I recycled some out of my stash, which is why you can see stitches at the top) sewn on the top inside edge and then it’s folded down so that the elastic is enclosed so that it looks very neat.
I did wonder if it was going to be a bit nursing home-like, but it is really comfortable and the waistband sits flat.
This was the first of these skirts I made and I was using it to test the pattern. I have already blogged the second skirt, which I have worn quite a bit since I made it (this skirt is slightly narrower at the hem as I didn’t have quite enough material). My only change to the pattern will be to add pockets. I can’t think why I didn’t do this, it might have been to do with the fact that I was focusing hard on the skirt. Anyway, I think a couple of jeans style back pockets might be a useful addition and I might retrospectively add them to this skirt. This will give me a chance to refine the placement and mark it on the pattern.
This is going to be a really handy skirt. I can wear it in the winter with tights and boots, and through spring and autumn with lighter clothing, and maybe even in summer. I have now got lots of tops that will team really well with it, but I am still missing winter style blue shoes. Perhaps this is something I can remedy quite soon…
I started taking the photos in our new home gym (read recycled bedroom) but Archie was busy putting up a chin up bar and inadvertently photobombed me – forcing me into the garden and dubious lighting.
The details: pattern is a self-drafted skirt made from stretch denim from Knitwit. Shirt is one I made as part of the vintage challenge and shoes are Arche in black suede from Secret Closet, Shenton Park.