Years ago I used to make my underwear, but as I got older felt that I needed something a bit more engineered. However, there are several bloggers who have been inspiring me to give it another go, including handmadebycarolyn and now Tasia from Sewaholic, sooo I stashbusted some fabric and some of my mother’s bra making bits and came up with this (and no, I’m not going to model underwear!). As usual, this is a muslin that finished up in my undies drawer. I can’t bear to be wasting any fabric or effort.
It is surprisingly comfortable and the shape is pretty good (although I can see the seams through t shirts), so I’m now ready to risk some lace and make some sets – coming soonish!
Pattern is Kwiksew 3300
Fabric is some lycra type stuff from Knitwit. I used some straps that I found in my mother’s stash – looking at the packet, I think they would be from the ’50s or ’60s! I probably should not have used them, but I’m sick of them in the drawer and they worked brilliantly.
Unfortunately I took all the photos and then realised two days later that I didn’t have a media card in the camera – such a muppet! So all I have left of the vintage strap packet is the packet itself – I had taken a lovely photo of it with the straps neatly wrapped, but you get the idea as to the vintage.
I discovered lots of picot edged elastic, so that got used too. The only things I bought were the underwires, the underwire casing and the hook and eye closure. Mum even had the power net.
Apologies if I’ve offended any sensibilities with my smalls, but hold tight because there will be more coming!