I may have mentioned previously that I acquired my Mum’s Lutterloh pattern system when she went off to the nursing home. This has spawned a whole new area of faddism (:)) and I am now busy finding vintage Lutterloh patterns.
My first top is this 1936 blouse described as “Novel blouse with interesting closure”. This is the only bit of English about the pattern, everything else is in German, but it doesn’t matter too much (as my friend S and my friend Google are able to do translations for me).
My version, however, doesn’t look much like the picture:
Umm – where did the collar go?? I did everything according to the pattern but no collar. I even made a facing to try and make the back stand up, but it didn’t work. I came to the conclusion that the picture is wildly inaccurate! I also don’t have the waist that this young lady has – sigh!
The pattern consists of four pieces, with the dotted lines being folds – this makes it pretty clear that there is no collar:
Anyway, I still like it.
I used a knit fabric from Knitwit that I’ve had in my stash for a while, and the buttons are lovely vintage squares, also from my stash. There are a couple of details on the top that aren’t evident in the photos. There are some gathers at the waist on the back, which gives a bit of shape. I may not have made these long enough, so maybe next time they will be more obvious.
If I do make the pattern again I will use a woven. I think the knit is a bit too stretchy – I had a really tough time getting the neckline to behave.
Lutterloh 1936 blouse pattern. The blouse has a triangular neckline with a button closure, dropped shoulders, gathered sections at the waist at the back, and 3/4 length sleeves with button closures.
Stretch fabric from Knitwit
Lisa Valli Jeans, which used to be my favourite but which clearly don’t fit any more, so off to the op shop for them.
3 thoughts on “1936 Lutterloh”
I know this post is many years old, but having recently acquired a Lutterloh system myself, I have been Googling.
This is an eye catching drawing, for sure! I thought I’d weigh in regarding the collar issue. I do a lot of pattern drafting, and I believe the collar is there, but you might have folded them down as one would for a facing. It looks to me like that shape would render a standing collar and the dotted line is a fold, but not a fold-over. I would recommend cutting a facing even though the pattern doesn’t tell you to, and I would interface it lightly. Patterns of that period often didn’t offer separate pieces for facings, assuming the sewer would “know” where and how to cut them.
I hope that is helpful advice,
Thank you so much, it’s very helpful. I haven’t made a Lutterloh pattern for a while, it might be time to revisit!