I’ve made two new tee shirts, a summer and a winter version. I was given a men’s t-shirt by a friend, which had a hole in the front and was sort of shapeless, although the fabric is lovely. I took it apart completely, saving the neckband and shoulder binding to reuse, and recut it using the Elbe Textiles Staley Top View B .
The fabric was slightly too narrow for the little extra piece at the hem, so I joined a piece either side. I think these got cut off again when the hem was done, but I was able to get the shape right.
Making the tee shirt was fairly simple, I just had to ensure that the stripes lined up. ! covered the front holes with a pocket and added a second pocket out of scraps, just because I could. I just need to unpick a tiny bit of the bigger pocket to line up the stripe perfectly. Both pockets took on the shape of the scraps they were cut from. I always like to do this as it seems more interesting.
I decided to unpick the pocket immediately as part of my mending mayhem over on Instagram. It’s not perfect but it’s better.
I reused the neckband and shoulder/neck binding. This is such a nice technique and it’s good to have the perfect neckband.
It’s lovely fabric and I’m looking forward to wearing it in warm weather, but I put it on for some photos – no styling – and froze!
The second tee shirt is Part A of the Staley top pattern, made in a tiny striped wool remnant from Potter & Co, bought when I went there with Megan, Meggipeg and Katherine, Sew Blooms. I didn’t really have enough fabric but I managed to reconfigure the scraps to make the sleeves full length as I didn’t want a short sleeved shirt for winter. I quite like the stripe play. I lengthened the top by a centimetre and the hem band by two centimetres. I would like it longer but I didn’t have enough fabric. I’m not sure I love the shape of this one on me, but I’ll wear it a few times before I make a final call.
Once again I used a coordinating ponte for my hem bands and once again I’m pleased with them.
I’ve already worn this top with my wool ponte trousers and a Pattern Union Box Blazer which was refashioned from a wool flannel oversized coat.
And your treat! I’m happy to report that Miss G is wearing a top that I made, although it’s a little bit big still.