Our local pool closed down for repairs so we’ve had to move to a different pool and the first thing we noticed is that the walk from the change rooms to the pool and back is freezing. Especially after the swim when we’re wet. I decided to lengthen my Queen’s Gambit robe by finding the bit of towelling I had cut off to make it fit the look.
If you look carefully you can see the horizontal seam and how much length I achieved. I also removed the pockets and lowered them. They were basically under my armpits, I’m not sure how they migrated up there!
This is me post-swim, and I haven’t lined the hems up, but you get the idea.
Anyway, Mark was exceedingly envious of my now warm walk, so I thought I’d make him one. We began talking about visiting Spotlight to buy towelling, but I was reluctant to buy more fabric, so we had a rummage. We have a whole box of towels which have been left at our house by visiting kids over the years, and we found two the same. Really long ones (2 metres) but slightly manky, in spite of serious washing (they’ve been in the box for at least ten years, maybe more). I remembered that I bought some nylon at the op shop for making back packs, so I thought I’d hide the towelling under a layer of nylon.
My favourite bathrobe is the zero waste one from Liz Haywood’s book Zero Waste Sewing, and this is the pattern I used and the seventh one I’ve made. I joined the two towels together down the centre and cut out and made up the lining for the bathrobe. I had thought I had loads of nylon, but I didn’t. I had to piece the hood gusset and ditch the pockets, which is a shame. But I did get the outer to fit the inner, so I was rather pleased with myself.
Sewing it was a bit of a mission – it weighed a lot and took up a lot of space round my machine.
The end result though is something that Mark is thrilled with. Instead of watching him scuttling to and from the pool, he was happy to stop for photos.
And walking down the dark alley, through which an arctic wind whistles!
the towelling was bigger than the nylon, so I repurposed the rectangles I cut off into floor wipes. I managed to get 24 out of the leftovers, keeping this a zero waste make!
A pretty basic make, but I love that my sewing can create something that makes us more comfortable and our swims more enjoyable.