Anyone who follows me on Instagram will know that I have recently made two dressing gowns from a couple of blankets saved from my late Mother-in-law’s possessions. I managed to get seven blankets and these are the most modern, but are still at least forty years old, and in fact, Mark and I had them on our bed when we visited Hobart, so they are like old friends!
I used the hooded robe pattern from Liz Hayward’s, Zero Waste Sewing.
I have already made myself summer versions of the robe, but knew that I was going to line this one and went up a size to accommodate the lining. The bathrobe takes a specific amount of fabric and I had a really good hunt in my stash for an appropriate lining, but couldn’t find anything, so did what any self respecting sewist would do; I had a good look in my linen cupboard! I found an old doona cover that we used to use when we were camping. The colours worked so I was ready to go.
Unfortunately, it became quickly apparent that the new bathrobe was going to be far too big on me so I converted it for Mark. It needed much longer sleeves so I added cuffs and he wanted it to be quite long so I added a wide band round the bottom. Unfortunately I could not pattern match but Mark assured me he wasn’t fussed. I, however, am extremely fussed by this but I can’t do much without sacrificing another blanket.
I managed a photo of him watching television. I felted his slippers too.
Having made Mark’s I turned my attention to one for me. I went down two sizes and thought carefully about the length and managed to make mine long enough using the full width of the blanket. I still had to add cuffs to make the sleeves long enough, but it was nice not to have to add the hem band.
I used the other side of the doona to line mine. I have to say that sewing the enormous heavy blanket and the lining together tested my patience, and it’s really easy to get things twisted. I was very happy to have this done!
The hood is brilliant. Our house is a bit draughty and I can just pull it up and I’m like toast!
Each dressing gown has the original blanket label sewn into the neck.
I didn’t actually start my blanket revival with the dressing gowns, I used a piece for a quilted rug. This is the back
and the front is made from silk scraps, most of which are sample pieces. I had a huge mess in my sewing room whilst I was doing this.
but order emerged from the chaos.
The final quilt top.
Mark’s dressing gown was made from the remainder, which in retrospect wasn’t a good idea, but I got there in the end.
This is another photo of me reading my cloth book with Ted, as in my last post
I don’t think this will be the last blanket dressing gown I make, I really need one at our holiday place where it is freezing in winter.