When I received my Great British Sewing Bee From Stitch to Style book, I really did want to make all the things, but I realise I’ve been a bit tardy, although I have traced off quite a few of the patterns. Anyway, I have managed to make the jersey dress hack of the Breton top
This is just the top extended a bit with pockets added.
My fabric came from an op shop in Hobart and it doesn’t have a great deal of stretch, so I was a bit concerned whether it would fit, but it’s actually perfect. It’s some lovely cotton fleece, which is really hard to find, so I was delighted both with the cotton and the fact that it has spots. I didn’t have enough to make a full dress so I shortened it to tunic length and it works well with leggings and jeans. I tend to wear it camping, layered against the cold. Here I have it teamed with jeans and a high neck top, both of which are self-drafted patterns.
Whilst I was pottering around taking photos, this lovely tame emu came to visit us.
Hi name is Edward and he lives on a nearby farm, where he is clearly much loved because we noticed that his toe nails have been painted!
He made himself totally at home hanging out by the Airstream – don’t you love the way his knees bend – he looks so strange when he’s sitting down
and swimming in the dam. He looked a bit like the Lock Ness Monster as he splashed around. I’ve never seen an emu swimming before.
He had a bit of a stroll with Archie
and even entertained us with a dance, some of which I managed to capture if you can be bothered looking at the video. The clicking noise you might be able to hear is Edward.
Anyway, back to my tunic, it is perfect as the weather begins to warm up, and whilst it is comfortable, I do wonder whether I prefer the Coco from Tilly and the Buttons, so I’m not sure I’ll be making another one.