Some time ago I set out to make a Tilly and the Buttons Coco dress from a striped knit, and decided that I wanted the fronts on the bias to get a chevron effect. All well and good, but found it too clingy and put it to one side. I didn’t want to waste the fabric so after a bit of thought and some serendipitous inspiration (a memory of a long ago top), I cut two triangles on the straight grain and inserted them into the side seams. The result? A result!!
I made the neckline higher and rounder to accommodate our cooler weather, using my pattern block, and reduced the length considerably so that I could get it out of the available fabric. I used a bias binding to finish the neckline and for once it behaved – I only had to unpick it once!
At rest, when I’m not twirling (!), the top hangs nicely. Those side godets hang down more than I would like, but I don’t think I have any choice.
My pattern matching is not exemplary – in fact, it’s a bit woeful, but with most elements on a different angle, it was nigh on impossible. I would have liked the godets to match with the front, but they were an afterthought, cut out of leftover fabric. I finished up doing a rolled hem on the overlocker and coverstitching the ends of the sleeves. The back of the top is pretty plain, the party is all at the front.
This would have been a quick make except for my failure to plan it properly. As soon as I finished I wanted another one, but I’m not sure there’s room for two of these in the wardrobe, I do tend to finish up with everything looking the same. Maybe next year in a different colour way (and yes, I have that fabric lurking in my stash!)
The trousers are my self-drafted ones made recently, and the shoes are Rock Spring bought at Heaven Wrapped in Claremont. I am not sure where I bought the fabric for this make – I have so many variations on the black and grey striped theme that I get confused, but it may have been in New Zealand.