I’ve had this skirt pattern in my stash for ages and, given my self-imposed rule for the Sew a Seasonal Wardrobe challenge where I have to use patterns not previously used, I found it and thought I’d give it a go.
It’s the Hollyburn skirt from Sewaholic and it’s a really nice pattern. I used this rather drab linen that I had bought to make Mark a shirt that didn’t eventuate, and I have to say that it’s perfect for a skirt. I have some left, so I think shorts may be in order for next summer.
I made the skirt whilst camping at Easter, and I’m surprised it turned out so well as I tend to be a bit distracted by my surroundings!
When I packed the fabric, I didn’t think about topstitching, and then I decided that I wanted a contrasting thread. I was delighted to find some burnt sienna coloured thread in my camping stash, which I think contrasts really well with the khaki.
I finished the skirt but needed buttons. Once I was home I had a hunt in my stash and found two zylonite buttons from the 1950s. There was still a scrap of fabric attached to the back of the buttons, which is a bit of a clue that they may have come from my mother – she was in the habit of doing this!
The buttons themselves are gorgeous and I’m so pleased to have them on something I know I’m going to wear often.
I really like the pockets on this skirt, they are roomy and the construction was pretty simple – always a bonus!
The shape of the skirt is somewhere between an A-line and a half circle. It has a nice swish when I walk.
And of course it teams brilliantly with my new persimmon top, and both of my jackets, so this is item number nine in the challenge.