I’ve been observing the Pauline Alice Xerea dresses popping up thither and yon, and I have been specially taken with Meggipeg’s versions (here and here), as well as the gorgeous chevron one on Pauline Alice’s web site. Most of the versions I’ve looked at seem to be made from a heavy knit style fabric, so when the time came for me to make mine, I selected some knit fabric. And then I read the instructions, and they call for a light to mid weight woven fabric. Back to the drawing board.
I burrowed in my stash and found this wool flannel that I bought at Astratex in Melbourne a few years ago.
It is lovely – light, but warm. I made view A, which doesn’t have the inverted pleat at the front.
One of my favourite components on this dress is that v-neck at the back, although it’s a bit draughty in the chilly weather!
I’m also partial to the princess seams and pockets, and of course, that sixties vibe!
I lengthened the sleeves to accommodate the wintry weather, and made bias binding from the fabric for the neckline. I did fiddle quite a bit to get the V to meet at the back and did a passable job. I also lengthened the dress by 6cm, and would have gone a bit more except I thought the balance of the dress might be affected, and of course, as a nod to the sixties.
I’ve worn this dress a couple of times now and have the perfect pink shoes to go with it. Here is an exceedingly dodgy photo showing pink shoes!
The verdict: A fabulous all seasons pattern, which I think will be a go-to dress as spring appears. I am looking forward to making some summer versions. The front and back yokes and side panels make this dress ideal for colour blocking or for using up largish pieces of leftover fabric. And yes, I am going to make one from knit fabric!