For a goodly while I’ve had a yen (pun intended 🙂 ) to make a Japanese market bag. I first saw these in Japan made from amazing fabric as one would expect, and I have finally made a first prototype.
These are easy bags to make. There are a plethora of tutorials on the web, so I won’t add to them, except to show the minor modifications I’ve made.
The first thing to know, though, is that this bag takes a surprising amount of fabric. I wanted to use up some of my scraps and I struggled to find anything long enough, which is why I’m using part of a doona/duvet cover donated to my stash by Gabi. Basically you need three times the height. I made mine 43cm high by 129cm long, which seems to be the common wisdom. This gives me three squares of 43cm. Or it would except that I didn’t add seam allowances and I lined the bag, so my bag finished up a tad smaller than I had intended.
It is still plenty big enough though.
Most of the tutorials I looked at had two short tubes rolled down the triangular handles to form the handles. I decided on one long tube which covered the join in the handle and therefore looked a bit more finished to me.
I also wanted to add a pocket. I had a bit of a guess as to where it should go and it’s finished up on the side, but at least I won’t be fossicking for my phone every time it rings!
I also added a pair of magnets at the centre of the triangle. I just like to have the sides kept together.
So next time I need to add seam allowances, find some nice upholstery fabric or, even better, some Japanese fabric, and I would use a piece of leather for the handle. This is a really quick and easy make and I am looking forward to making the next one.