I often make a wearable muslin of something and then never get round to making the real thing. Well stop the presses, because I have actually had another go at the 1954 blouse which I made for the Lutterlohalong, and I am quite pleased with myself.
I improved the fit considerably by moving the front darts closer to the centre, I added a side zip, reduced the size of the armholes, and abandoned the facings in favour of bias binding. The first one seemed a bit baggy but this one is perhaps a bit tight, which is odd because I didn’t reduce the size at all.
I made it out of some leftover fabric from a yet unblogged item, and I tried very hard to position the buttons so that it had a double breasted appearance, but I had so little fabric to work with that I couldn’t quite pull this off. The only change I would make is to make it a little longer, and perhaps to do a sway back adjustment, although it didn’t have this many wrinkles in the back when I first checked it out – perhaps it was all the sitting down I’ve done.
I was mindful that the button on the top closure needed to be super light, so imagine my joy when I found this 1950s green one in my stash!
Not a lot else to say about this except that it has motivated me to revisit my 1936 blouse which I don’t yet feel as though I have made successfully. I wore the blouse for our One Year One Outfit challenge excursion to the Fibre of the Gods Alpaca farm in Toodyay, with Nicki (thisismoonlight) and Carolyn (handmadebycarolyn), where we admired the Alpacas
and enjoyed the conversation between Oliver the cat and one of the Alpacas
Hazel, the owner, gave us a guided tour of the mill that she runs with her husband, and it proved to be fascinating – we could see the whole processing cycle from fleece to spun yarn, which can be seen on their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/thefibreofthegods, and, of course, we finished in the shop where we all managed to buy some beautiful wool to contribute to our challenge. My wool came from Molly.
In a nutshell: Pattern is Lutterloh 1954 blouse being made as part of a challenge with Amanda. Fabric is a gorgeous cotton/silk voile from Potter Textiles, which I bought a couple of years ago. Pants are Style Arc Flat bottom Flo and shoes are Castille from Castille, Claremont. Thanks go to Nicki for planning our trip to the Alpaca farm and for driving us to Toodyay.