Megan from Meggipeg told me that the drapey dress from the Great British Sewing Bee was now available free on the internet
and I remembered that I had made it when I acquired the book.
However, my version looked like what a clown would wear should she choose to wear a dress instead of trousers. I looked ridiculous, yet everyone else who made it looked fabulous – so dispiriting. However, having had my memory jogged, I wondered about making a couple of changes.
I removed the pockets (sob – the best bit!) and added sleeves, a bit like the pattern hack in the book and I now have a really easy to wear dress, that was simple to make – in fact, this is one of the things I made whilst camping at Easter. Now is the time to apologise for the quality of the photos – I have no idea what has gone down here!
This is a lovely cocoon shaped dress, and although the pockets would be useful to have, I think the front sits a lot better on me without them. It’s difficult to see the front pleat, but it’s there and it’s quite effective. The back is one piece and very simple.
I was surprised at how short the dress was – it didn’t seem to be that short on everyone else and I’m sure they are all a lot taller than I am. Ah well! My original intention, when I ditched the pockets, was to belt the dress, but I actually prefer it loose.
I made the dress out of a piece of knit I had in my stash, which I bought from Knitwit. I had so much of this that it is the third item I’ve made from it. Luckily they are all pretty different, and I’ve finally used it all!
Having now worn this dress a few times, I can recommend it as a perfect autumn weight dress that doesn’t require much thought or styling, and which can be dressed up or down – perfect for me!